Sunday, August 4, 2013

Giant crochet granny square

I finally learned to crochet, I had been trying for a couple of weeks using books and Google. I couldn't grasp it, I thought. But I realise now, I was mostly following the instructions properly, I just didn't think I was, I kept doubting it, saying to myself "You couldn't really put the hook in there, could you?" or "That doesn't look right" 

Anyway, I got my Mum over a couple of days ago to set me straight. So nice to have someone explain it properly, thank you Mum X. I can now look at crochet and see what a treble is, what a double is, before I had no idea, it just looked like bumpy stuff. Well now that I get it, I love it. I have been experimenting with hook sizes and yarns since. I really wanted to learn the granny square, which I have YAY!

My first attempt.


something doesn't look right.

Next I tried changing colours, my way :)

grrr I spy a dog hair.
And the regular way.



These were all made on an 8mm hook.
I was so happy with this, I wanted to get funky now, so I busted out the 15mm hook and started going through my yarn.
This mess was a multi strand knitting test.



So I decided I MUST have some of this yarn to crochet with..arrrgh...I love knitting with multi strands but when you change your mind, what a pain to un-strand (is that a word?).
An hour or so later, I had what I wanted



My idea was to make a giant granny square.
First round I combined the pale pink glittery hairy yarn and the plain pink yarn in the back with the hook on top.



I actually did this round with the 8mm, but it was a little stiff, so I went on with the 15 mm after that.
Next round is the thick black and the glittery black hairy yarn.




Third round is the multi coloured rug type yarn and the bright pink hairy yarn.




Fourth round is black again, and the last round is back to the first colour.


It came out better than I'd hoped. 

close up view

Now I just have to figure out what to make with it. My original intention was for a bag, I'm not so sure now.

Thoughts anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment