Monday, July 29, 2013

Knitting fast and easy, big needles for desperados

I wanted to post today, just because I can haha. I am in the middle of a post for a Playboy cake we made recently, but it will take me a while as there were many issues we faced with that cake and I want to get it right.

So for now I will talk about my new obsession with knitting, which I was never very good at as a kid, I was slow and awkward, and I still am, but I've found a way to get past that and knit very quickly. GIANT knitting, yep, huge needles and the fattest yarn I can find. So much less embarrassing to be slow with these big needles as it's kind of expected hehe. And even though I'm slow, I finish a lot quicker than with regular size needles. Hey, you know what? I never "finished" anything on regular size needles.

I'm not sure how I figured out I wanted to knit, let alone with massive needles, but once I did I went on the hunt, where to get the big needles? I was astounded to find some priced over $100, which is way out of my price range. Also I couldn't wait, I wanted to get started right away. I had some yarn, but only thin ply, so I decided I would just use multi strands of yarn. 

Now the needles was a little harder, I had no spare funds to buy anything to even make a pair, so I started hunting the house. 

After spotting these ... mini pool cues woohoo!!
I was determined to make it work. Now I know not everyone will have these laying about, but anything similar will do, I would have cut a broom stick in half, but I'm not great with tools and would have had to wait for Sneaky.

Now I needed something to stop the stitches falling off the needle, after much thinking (ouch), and a bit more hunting I had what I needed.




These are those plastic balls they fill kids pools with.


 I punctured them with a pointy knife, then twisted a little, taking care not too push too far in. 



Then slipped them over the chalked end of the sticks.




These are not totally secure, but I'm sure you could work something out to keep them on.


I did try knitting with just the fat end of the sticks as is, but I found it awkward, more awkward than usual haha.

So my next mission was to make the ends pointy somehow...
more brain hurting, then... an icing bag tip, my bright idea.


 electrical tape



then wrap as smoothly as possible



It's not perfect, but did the job until I could make proper ones.


Functional BIG knitting needles...that look ridiculous :)







No comments:

Post a Comment